Monday, September 8, 2008

Fantasy Football and Fox

It is now a little after midnight and I have just checked my fantasy football team. My good cousin Tod invited me to join a league and so for the first time I have entered into the fray. I spent about 10 minutes this morning pouring over scouting reports, fasting, seeking inspiration and rubbing my lucky rabbits foot. All this to find out that we aren't keeping track of scores until week 2. It might end up being good because I only have a 14 point lead over my match up and all of my guys have played and he still has one on MNF. If this doesn't make sense to you don't worry it didn't to me either about 24 hours ago. For those of you anxiously awaiting the final tally I will let you know how the game tomorrow night turns out.

The second part of what is on my mind is as I do most nights now about this time I flip through several family blogs and try to read what people are up to and it has been awesome to get to know some of our family better. However tonight I read a rather disturbing yet hilarious post from Ryan Miller regarding a soap opera Passions and his heartache over its recent cancellation. If you haven't read it I would encourage you to click on my favorites to the right and enjoy. As I read his post I started to reflect on my life and the guilty pleasures I have indulged in and a few came to mind.

For several summers I would work on the Ferry Farm in Corinne Utah, generally with my cousins Johnny and Joel. Things could get a little slow during the summer especially on TV and at the ranch you only had local channels. Now some of you might be saying wait we have so many reality TV shows to choose from, but alas back in the ninety's these edgy, purely genius gems hadn't come along. Instead we had the latest creation from Aaron Spelling comprising a perfected formula of beautiful women, california, and a bunch of gorgeous hunks some of whom were bad boys, good guys and misfits. You through them in a common living/working environment, watch them grow together/apart/together/apart etc. and you have cinema gold! You have to love Fox for the shows they produced were admitidly a little edgy and slightly risque (I would put them in the same league as Passions.) These shows were generally so well written they were able to cover the whole plot for the season in one summer so there wasn't a need to bring them back for more, but a similar show would always surface. I am curious if these titles bring back any memories for anyone else: Summer 1994 "Models Inc." (the title says it all!) This show was so well written it had 29 episodes and lasted until March 1995 when they finally exhausted all the possible angles and drama surrounding a modeling agency as a spinoff from 90210. Summer 1996 "Malibu Shores" Summer 1997 "Pacific Palisades" Sadly this well written theatrical masterpiece only lasted for 13 episodes but they were each very action packed and dynamic. Of course during this time you also had melrose place and Beverly Hills 90210 (another fun fact I graduated with Kelly, Brandon, Dylan and the gang in 1993). I must say Aaron Spelling had a simple formula and he kept using it time and again. Anyone else out there want to come clean? Ryan I feel your pain, I had filled the hole in my life with the TV show Las Vegas but sadly it has been canceled. I now hope another brilliant script will be picked up this fall. Maybe Night Rider or Lipstick Jungle (J/K the previews on that one make me blush)!

6 comments:

Atkins Family said...

Man! I must be really young! I didn't recognize any of those tv shows except 90210 and that's because of the reruns they had after school. I would like to call to Brandi's attention the days when she would come home from school and watch Days of Our Lives. And I swear that she would watch Barney too. These posts are shedding a new light on you, you're geekier then I thought! I hope you had to wikipedia some of those statistics.

Miller Family said...

David,

If Passions has taught me anything, it is that you have to always tell the truth - I think that was one of the 10 Commandments too. I'm proud of you for coming clean and as the "atkins family" alluded to, dating yourself. I think there is a new version of 90210 playing on the CW. The first episode was last week and if it hasn't already been canceled, you might be able to catch it this week. A couple of the original cast members have roles on it.

Ryan

P.S. I have tried to email you a couple of times. Either I am on your blocked senders list or I have the wrong email address. What's going on?

Justin and traci said...

Usually if it doesn't have a picture i skip over the post but I thought I would endure and read your only to discover you are a girl. I am wondering if you are taking estrogen pills. Example you wrote beautiful women and gorgeous hunks. That seems like a strong description of at least one of the genders. Good looking guys, maybe even attractive guys but gorgeous. Really

Your welcome for commenting on your text

Unknown said...

Ahh...... those are the days never to be forgotten. Feasting on steaks cooked in the TV room on the plug in stove and the stolen corn from Kondo's. Timing the irrigation turns around the episodes not to miss anything.

I have to say my life turned out very much like a mix of Pacific Pallisades and Models Inc.

Good memories.

Atkins Family said...

UPDATE!!!!

Atkins Family said...

I have lost all hope in you and this blog. September Dave?! Really?! I haven't see pictures for awhile. I hope you will put up some of Christmas! You better or else I will come to America and stay at your house the ENTIRE time I'm there!!! It could be months...