Saturday, September 6, 2008

Vader has left the Building


12 Bags filled with party favors ..... $25
4 Pizzas from Little Caesars .........$20
1 Pinata stuffed with candy ..........$18
12 five year old boys for an hour and a half ....... Priceless? Hell No!
(Apologies to Mastercard)


As you may have guessed David had his birthday party today.  Wow! Last year I was unable to be at his friend party and I think I may be occupied next year.  Talk about total chaos.  The other thing I learned is next time (if I have a serious case of amnesia) I am going to get the pizza.  The party started at 1 pm and at 12:59 Brandi decided she needed to get the pizza (veteran move I must say).  I finished feeding Jack and laid him down and the doorbell rang for the first of 11 times.  To set the stage for you it was a scene like in Chevy Chase, Christmas Vacation when the in-laws come to the house and they ring the doorbell and it rings in slow motion through the house and each family member has the look of total fear and anxiousness.  As I open the door I can faintly hear a mother roar down the driveway in her SUV with a chant of freedom that would rival Mel Gibson in Braveheart.(Yes I like movies, I wish I could make comparisons to Shakespeare or classic novels but I is what I is)


It is now 1:10 and there are now 12 five and six year olds in my house running from the main level up to the playroom and David's room.  It is a constant tornado roaming the house.  In fact for the first time Katherine isn't sure what to do and looks a little scared.  You know it is serious if Katherine is nervous to mix it up.  I now have several sets of skid marks from SUV's leaving my driveway.  Unfortunately for one mother, who is a friend of Brandi's whom we will be eternally grateful to, Brandi staged a sit-in in front of her car until she promised to stay and help referee the savages. Brandi had envisioned that she and I could handle the festivities, she must be taking something strong after giving childbirth to be that delusional. After getting over the deer in headlights I was able to convince her to also call her sister and beg and plead for help. To sweeten the pot I offered up Brandi to help with Maddy's (our niece) next party. I know I am generous but remember she left me to get pizza.

1:15 Brandi finally shows up with pizza, personally I think she did a little joy riding but she denies it.  We get everyone together and inhale 3 of the 4 pizzas.  Now it is game time.  We have a couple of games that don't take nearly long enough.  We are anxiously watching the clock and things are going way to fast. 1:40 we now have cake and ice cream. Brandi's
sister makes a homemade cake and it is quickly devoured. It is now 1:50 and we are opening presents.  It is hilarious to watch as each present is opened a scrum closes tighter and tighter around David.  He now has about 20 hands grabbing and ripping paper and ribbons.  You can faintly hear Brandi tell David to thank so and so and then a mumbled thanks and your welcome.

It is now 2:05 and a few of the boys have left for soccer games and other commitments.  We then head out to the driveway for a pirate pinata.  After witnessing the scrum around the presents and games I decided for liability purposes to create a perimeter that everyone has to stay behind.  I then walked up and down the line swinging the bat muttering threats if anyone crossed the line they would regret it.  Each boy took their turn with the bat and the pirate quickly surrendered its head and candy was everywhere.  With bags overflowing with candy we send everyone on their way and begin the cleanup. All in all we survived. Brandi's sister points out, as she is laughing, in future years we will have three successive weekends with parties for each child. I am one step ahead of her. I think we will have a one big party and a lottery to decide who gets to invite friends. I am not sure if it will fly but we will see.


3 comments:

Atkins Family said...

I think maybe this is the first time I have been thankful to be so far away from home. I bet tubbs had a ton of fun! When I called he was going on and on about how fun it was and what he got for his birthday. He was talking so fast I could hardly understand him. I bet secretly you wanted to be in there in all the action.

Griffin Family said...

I'm so happy I could be there to experience the fun!! Good luch in the coming years with all the birthdays! You're so lucky!! Thanks for offering Brandi's services for Mad Dogs birthday! ;)

susan bunker said...

Sounds like fun David! I only did ONE really big party for Kristen, and wised up FAST! From then on, they were pretty small, and NEVER at my house. The clean-up is much easier! You make me laugh though, reading about it :).