Sunday, August 31, 2008

Kung Fu Katherine

Ok for the 2 of you that read my blog I am sure you are having Stewart Blog Fatigue. I went from a flurry of posts in May to nothing until this last week, but I figure while I have a little downtime with the new baby I would catch up people on our summer and some funny Katherine experiences. Today is Sunday and I am here helping with Katherine and Jack (actually mostly blogging). Jack basically slept all day yesterday and was wide awake from about 3 until 6:30 this morning, unfortunately my shift. As I was reflecting on church and unfortunately missing it today I was reminded of a recent experience with Katherine. A little while ago we decided to go to Kung Fu Panda as a family. This was our first effort with Katherine in a theatre. My fellow movie buff David is fairly experienced. We got popcorn, drinks and treats and sat down with both grandpa's in tow. First she was disappointed that the movie wasn't a ride and didn't move. After 45 minutes of multiple questions of why this and why that she announced she was done and Brandi, who hates all animated movies (apologies to Walt Disney), was more than happy to take her to the dinasaur museum.
By now you might be wondering how this relates to church or you may have stopped reading but I will press forward. Katherine has become a fairly prominent person in nursery. She has struggled with some issues of aggression to the point we now before each nursery have to run through a litany of possible abuses and forbid them. For example here is how the conversation goes on the way to church:

Dad: Katherine are you going to be a good girl in nursery?
K: Yes I am a nice girl.
Dad: Yes you are; Now you remember nice girls don't hit, kick, poke, or shove. You won't do those things will you?
K: But can I bite?
Dad: No.
K: Can I push?
Dad: No Katherine.
K: Am I a nice girl?
Dad: Yes Katherine

We then send our little princess of to nursery. A couple of Sunday's ago we picked up Katherine from nursery and one of the nursery leaders told us she had kicked a kid. When we got home we cornered her and started threatening her ever going to nursery again. When we asked her why she kicked the little boy, she adamently denied doing it. She informed us she was Kung Fu Panda and Kung Fu'd him. As we stifled laughs and smiles through gritted teeth we added Kung Fu Panda to the list of forbidded offenses. David always our little helper and enforcer has been assisting us in enforcement. When we got home from church last Sunday he was, mind you in a very serious tone, reviewing church with her and grilling her about her nursery and did she hit, poke, kick, shove, push or Kung Fu Panda. We are happy to report she has been incident free!

3 comments:

Becca said...

Can Katherine come stay with us for a while? This girl is a riot!

The Ferry Bunch said...

Maddy talks about Katherine constantly still. I love the stories

Atkins Family said...

This is my favorite story, I tell all my friends. I was there when she said she kung fued the kid in nursery. She's so freaking funny. I love Katherine stories.